Why do I need Musik Tent™?
Answer: There are numerous humidity solutions available, but most require leaving instruments in their cases and recharging the moisture source every few weeks. In our experience, instruments left in cases tend not to be played because "Out of Sight, Out of Mind," especially when pushed under a bed. Pouches last longer, but are expensive over time and can leak onto your instrument. We've also learned from a USA based, high-end, guitar manufacturer that cases made of wood may pull twice as much moisture from the environment as a guitar - and that cases allowed to dry out may actually rob moisture from a guitar placed inside, resulting in considerable damage to the instrument.
Room humidifiers generally require refilling daily, and may leave a musty smell and white dust on nearby surfaces over time. Home humidifiers are expensive to install and require routine maintenance. Humidity cabinets are ideal if space is available, but are generally too expensive for musicians who would rather invest in instrument rather than furniture.
Musik Tent™ is essentially a humidity cabinet everyone can afford, and depending on model, will store up to 4 guitars or cases. The patented moisture delivery system simply draws water from the reservoir through a filament and releases as water vapor inside the enclosure. Musik Tent™ maintains a very uniform humidity, with no devices touching the instruments, refills needed only once or twice per year, while keeping instruments visible and quickly accessible. By hanging Musik Tent™, floor space is freed up for important uses, like amplifiers. Instruments can be displayed most anywhere by mounting a Musik Tent™ from a door, wall or ceiling - or placing into a closet away from prying eyes, kids, pets and sunlight. You may not even need a case.
Why has the filament dried out?
Answer: The filament pulls water from the reservoir through threads, which act as channels, and emits water vapor into the surrounding area. Increasing the amount of exposed filament in the loop, increases the emission of water vapor - to a point. This mechanism is countered by capacity of the filament to release water vapor, and gravity that limits how high above the water source the water may travel vertically up the filament. If the looped end of the filament is lifted too high, relative to the water level, it may begin to dry out, especially in very dry environments where the filament is releasing moisture faster than its pulling water from the reservoir. Once a wetted filament dries, its channels shrink and the filament will have little or no water transfer - even when rewetted. It is necessary that a seal be achieved between the inside of the enclosure and outside environment. If excessive air is leaking into the enclosure, the Musik Tent will likely not achieve the desired humidity and its filament will tend to dry out quickly.
- Limit the length of exposed filament loop to about 4-5", which is about 2-3" above reservoir cap. If more moisture is needed, we recommend using multiple filaments, or purchasing a second reservoir to increase humidity without increasing refill frequency.
- Keep enclosure (zipped) closed except when inserting or removing instruments, especially in very dry environments.
- Seal all sources where ambient (outside) air can penetrate enclosure. For instance, the Jumbo enclosure is closed by a velcro connection on top, and has openings where it's designed to allow a closet rod to pass through from each side. The small gap between the openings in the enclosure and the closet rod are enough to cause humidity control and filament drying issues. We recommend sealing these gaps and the velcro connection with clear shipping tape. Please see photo. If using a frame, these openings should be completely sealed. See https://www.origineer.com/assembly-videos.html.
- Mold formation, which is generally visible as a discoloration on the filament loop, may impede water transmission through the filament. We recommend adding a mold inhibitor, such as 2-3 capfuls of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide into the reservoir with each fill of distilled water. This has shown to be highly effective at preventing mold growth.
- Top off water if opening and closing the enclosure frequently. For extended away periods, it's expected the water level will not be topped off, which is generally not an issue if the enclosure remains zipped closed and undisturbed.
- If ambient humidity is greater than the desired level, we recommend pushing the filament inside the reservoir to keep it wet for later use.
- Confirm the exposed ends of the filament are below the water line.
- Confirm amount of exposed loop of the filament is not more than 3" above reservoir.
- Confirm filament is moist to the touch. If dry, replace with new filament. While some customers may get 12 or more months per filament, some replace the filament with each refill of the reservoir. We offer 2 filaments for $20 with free shipping, which generally translates to Musik Tent costing about $2 per month including distilled water.
Why is the Musik Tent™ humidity not reaching set point?
- Dry instruments or cases may be pulling moisture from the air too rapidly (we've observed >10% reduction in the RH due to a single dry guitar). To determine instrument dryness, remove instrument(s), observe the increase in humidity over next 6-12 hours, reinsert instrument(s), and observe the decrease in humidity over next 6-12 hours. If a dry instrument is observed, position filaments on highest setting and leave instrument(s) inside when not in use. It may take one or more months of slow and steady re-hydration before the RH rises to target inside the chamber. A wetted sponge may be placed in the bottom of the enclosure to accelerate re-humidification of dry instruments.
- Doubling the filament is effective at increasing the humidity up to an additional ~10% RH. Please note this will increase refill frequency.
- Confirm zipper is closed completely and check for any holes in the enclosure.
It's recommended to seal the eyelets where the closet hooks pass through the enclosure. If not needed for free-standing framed Musik Tents, the closet hooks may be removed with pliers and the eyelets covered with clear tape. Alternatively, if closet hooks are left in place, clear tape may be applied around them to seal the gaps where they pass through the eyelets.
How does Musik Tent™ work when humidity is high?
Answer: The enclosure seems to buffer variation between the ambient humidity and inside Musik Tent, creating a cushion from humidity swings to some degree. In Southeastern Pennsylvania where our outdoor relative humidity averages around 70% in July, we may not get above 45% or so indoors due the A/C running. In other years, we may experience a very humid summer and indoor humidity reaching around 70% RH. If in-door humidity increases above the desired level inside the Musik Tent enclosure, the filament may be placed in lowest position, or pushed inside reservoir if not needed to ensure filament stays moist, and unscented desiccants may be hung inside enclosure. It may be necessary to hang more than one desiccants to reduce humidity. If the desiccants are drawing out too much moisture, it may be necessary to have some of the filament exposed to reach the target relative humidity.
It may be necessary to seal the enclosure eyelets, as explained above.
Why does my 2-guitar Musik Tent seems to be arching excessively from the instrument weight and the outer clamps coming lose?
Answer: The upper support frame may not be oriented properly. The high points where the clamps make contact should be higher than the centerline of the rod. See photos.
What if the hygrometer provided with Musik Tent™ doesn't agree with another hygrometer I've been using?
How often will I need to refill reservoir?
Does Musik Tent work for vacation and Snowbird properties?
Answer: Some folks have reported turning off the heat, or A/C, when they leave for extended periods, not considering that wood instruments prefer humidity in the 50% RH range at temperatures comfortable to people. We advise considering the in-door temperature swings your instrument will experience when setting the humidity level. If the Musik Tent enclosure humidity is holding at 50% RH, and the inside temperature were to drop rapidly, the dew point could be reached, forming droplets of water on instruments.
Is it possible to humidify a guitar on a traditional stand, or humidify cases, inside a Musik Tent?
Answer: Yes, when mounting to a wall, simply lower the closet rod height so that the bottom of the Musik Tent is even with the floor. Another option is to purchase a free-standing frame, which allows the same storage options and flexibility to place anywhere in the room, removing dependency on a closet rod.
What closet rod should I use?
Answer: We recommend an Adjustable Closet Rod, such as Home Depot HD0021-48/72PM, or equivalent.
How do I mount a closet rod in a closet with wire racks?
Answer: Most Musik Tent™ models will mount directly to the wire racks. For a Jumbo Musik Tent™, you may mount a rod underneath the wire rack into the studs behind the drywall for optimum strength, or connect it to the wire rack using large S-hooks (see photo). Recommend limiting instrument weight to no more than 15 lbs if using S-hooks on wire racks.
What humidity level should I maintain inside Musik Tent?
Answer: In our experience, wood is typically best kept in the 45% to 50% relative humidity range.
Here are some references for maintaining instruments at the proper humidity.
- Martin recommends 45% to 55% RH ( https://www.martinguitar.com/media/9615/2018-care-feeding-guide_web.pdf).
- Taylor prefers 47% RH (https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/maintenance/symptoms-dry-guitar)
- Guild recommends 45% to 55% RH (https://guildguitars.com/product-care/)
- Premier Guitars recommends 40% to 50% RH (https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Fighting_the_Humidity_Battle)
- Fender recommends 40% to 50% (https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/2011%20Fender%20Acoustic%20Guitar%20Manual.pdf)
Will the Musik Tent™ damage the nitrocellulose finish on my instrument if it were to come into contact with the enclosure?
Answer: While the guitar surface should have limited contact with the PEVA (polyethylene vinyl acetate) enclosure, there is no chlorine present in the material that might damage a finish. The nitro finish contains some level of nitric acid, a byproduct of the process, making nitro more likely to discolor the PEVA enclosure over time; possibly leaving a slight yellowish discoloration on the inside surfaces.
We do recommend using a cloth between instruments and neoprene cushions used on the stand inside framed Musik Tents. This should provide the maximum protection of the instrument finish from reacting with elements inside the neoprene over long periods of time. We generally use a polishing cloth or terry cloth material.
What about electric guitars, do different woods need to be at different humidities?
Why would humidity be an issue if the wood has a protective finish on it?
Answer: The protective finish reduces moisture loss on the outside surface of the body, but the inside surfaces of most acoustic guitars are typically exposed to the atmosphere. Prolonged dry periods may shrink and crack the wood - generally along the wood grain. There are some example photos at http://www.origineer.com/damaged-wood-instruments.html.
Would you please inform me on how it operates?
Answer: Distilled water in reservoir is drawn through a filament and released as water vapor into the enclosure. The amount of water vapor is controlled by the amount of exposed filament, which is quickly and easily adjustable. Please see our video that helps explain the Musik Tent™. Video showing how Musik Tent Works
Do you just refill the system with water or do you need to purchase a tent every time it is empty?
Answer: No need to purchase a new Musik Tent™. Simply replace the distilled water periodically. The filament may need replacing periodically if it gets excessive discoloration or stops emitting adequate moisture. Filaments are available in our Store.
Can I purchase future orders from your factory?
Answer: Yes, please visit our online Store.
How much would you charge for local pick up?
Answer: No Charge
What product do you recommend to use to prevent mold and mildew of the filament or inside reservoir?
Answer: In reservoirs that hold approximately 3 cups of water, we recommend using distilled water with 2-3 cupfuls of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Alternatively, a 50:50 blend of distilled water and Propylene Glycol used for cigar humidors, per fill, should prevent mold formation and extend the life of the filament.
Is there a way to improve the aesthetics of the enclosure?
Answer: For wrinkles, a hair dryer positioned approximately 4 to 6" away from the cover
Do I have to use the Origineer moisture source?
Answer: Any humidity device will work in Musik Tent™, but only our proprietary moisture delivery system will create a very uniform humidity inside and around entire instrument, and without making physical contact, be easily adjustable with the seasons, and require infrequent refilling.
If I eliminate the humidifiers will the tent still keep at 50%? My room barely keeps 50% humidity with two humidifiers running in winter, I have an older home.
Answer: Yes, a room humidifier is not needed, assuming the room is maintained at a temperature comfortable for people.
Is it possible to get 3 guitars inside a 2-guitar Musik Tent?
Why aren't the Large Mounting S-hooks twisted as shown in photos?
What options exist for hanging guitars with tuning keys on one side or for anyone preferring not to use leather hangers?
How to best use the Gallon Tee with Filaments in my own cabinet?
How many Ukuleles can I get in Mandolin and Ukulele Musik Tent?
How do I set up my new HumiForm?
Less is More - Since HumiForm is capable of emitting considerable water vapor quickly, it's recommended to start with low RH and increase by slowly exposing more filament. If humidor becomes over saturated, it may be necessary to leave lid partially open until RH decreases to desired level.
How do I season my Humidor using HumiForm?
How do I adjust the humidity level inside a humidor?
How much humidity variation should I expect to have inside my humidor using HumiForm?
How often do I fill the reservoir?
Answer: estimated refills for the standard size HumiForm reservoirs is about every 6 to 10 months, depending on factors such as quantity and dryness of the cigars being stored and quality of humidor. The Mini version holds about 1/3 as much water, so lasts about 1/3 as long as the standard size. It is important that the filament not be allowed to dry out, as this tends to severely reduce the filament's ability to emit water vapor.
Would you please inform me on how it operates?
Answer: Distilled water is drawn from the reservoir through the filament and emitted as water vapor above the cigars. The bow-tie loop tees to the left and right to provide uniform water vapor release. Increasing the amount of exposed filament increases the amount of water vapor - and resulting relative humidity.
What type of hygrometer is recommended inside my humidor?
Answer: We recommend a wireless type that allows you to monitor from your phone, especially until conditions inside the humidor stabilize.
Can I purchase future orders from your factory?
Answer: Yes, please visit our online Shop
How much would you charge for local pick up?
Answer: Local pickup is free.
What is the whitesh growth on the filament?
Is the bluesh oxidation on the copper tee normal?
Answer: Yes. The oxidation and patina develop normally over time. If you prefer to remove it periodically, we recommend using steel wool and rinsing the resulting dust with distilled water before reinserting the filament.
We recommend cleaning tee fairly quickly and returning to service while filament remains moist, it is important that the filament not be allowed to dry out, as this tends to severely reduce the filament's ability to emit water vapor.
How do I increase the amount of aroma created by the filament?
roma strength is mostly regulated by the amount of exposed filament, while some
How do I prevent liquid leaking from filament loops?
The liquid will drip from the looped ends of the filaments if the loops are hanging down (see photo). To prevent, ensure the loops are aimed upward.
Why is the filament discolored?
The filament will pick up dyes in the scented liquid and may partially reduce aroma over time.